Green Beret Fitness Operation IRON PEAK MAX
Event Name: Green Beret Fitness Operation IRON PEAK MAX
Company Name: Green Beret Fitness
Start Date: July 29, 2023 at 04:00 AM (Local Time at Event Location)
Location: Cle Elum, Washington
Location Name: Washington
Location Address: Cle Elum, WA 98922, USA
Operation IRON PEAK MAX
Distance: 16 +/- miles
Event Start Time: Saturday 29th July 2023 at 0400hrs
Start Location: Esmeralda Trailhead, WA
Event Finish Time: Saturday 29th July 2023 at 2000hrs
Finish Location: Esmeralda Trailhead, WA
WARNING: This event is very challenging. There is the likelihood the route involves scrambling and snow. This event should not be underestimated.
Operation IRON PEAK MAX takes you to the summit of Mount Stuart in the Cascade Range of Washington. It is the second highest non-volcanic peak in the state and seventh-highest overall. This route takes you up the Cascadian Couloir on the southeast flank of the mountain, which ascends to a false summit just southeast of the main summit, and finishes along a short ridge.
There are two easier routes the same day as this event: Operation IRON PEAK, and Operation IRON PEAK MINI.
Candidates must complete the 16 +/- mile route in under 16 hours to pass and under 12 hours to earn the GBF Operation IRON PEAK MAX Dog Tag.
Candidates will meet at the Esmeralda Trailhead parking area. After 0400hrs, GBF Staff will give an event brief before checking candidates' kits. Candidates are advised to carry paper maps (waterproofed), in addition to their smartphone, for navigation. Once GBF Staff are happy with the candidate's kit, they will be released to begin the route.
Candidates finishing in under 12 hours will receive the highly sought-after 'GBF Operation IRON PEAK MAX’ dog tags. The first candidate to complete the course will receive a GBF Gold Dog Tag.
- Mapping. You can navigate this route easily from the AllTrails app on your Smartphone. GBF suggests candidates have a paper map, compass, and GPS too. To download the route from AllTrails, you will need to sign up for a membership.
- Route. Operation IRON PEAK MAX
There are several ‘bailout’ options on this route if candidates realise they are not fit enough to continue. These will be explained to you in the morning brief.
- Dress. Candidates' dress will be a personal choice but they are reminded this is a rural event with no vehicle support. Wet weather and cold weather gear is mandatory in case of inclement weather conditions.
This list is mandatory. You will NOT be allowed to start if an item is missing. (Items linked are for guidance only)
This list is strongly recommended:
- Replen. This is a self sufficient route with NO DRINKING WATER RESUPPLY. There may be streams with the possibility to filter water.
- Rations. Candidates must have a minimum of 4 x energy bars as emergency rations. It is strongly advised the candidates take extra food with them.
- Water. Candidates should carry enough water to last 20 +/- miles in case they get lost. There will also be water at the end. Candidates must start the event with a minimum of 6 litres of water or they will not be allowed to start.
- Medical. A personal medical kit is required by every candidate. GBF Staff must be made aware of any medical conditions prior to starting the event. If any GBF staff deems a candidate is medically unfit to continue, they may be withdrawn from the event for their own safety.
- Transport. Transport to and from the event will be at candidates own arrangement.
Command and Signal
GBF HQ - 9419939432
Weight - Candidate’s backpacks must weigh a minimum of 25 lbs including all the mandatory gear and water and food.
Numbers - Maximum number of candidates 20. Minimum number of candidates 5.
Cost - $125 until end of 2022
($145 from 1st January 2023)
Refunds - Refunds will be in the form of a GBF voucher for future events. Refunds within 30 days of an event will not be possible.
Event data has been taken from the event's official website. Events can be changed at any time so please visit the event's website for the latest details.